A saucy, spiced chickpea and tomato stew/curry that can be easily made in the Instant Pot! A great vegetarian, high protein dish!
- 30oz canned garbanzo beans or 1 cup dried garbanzo beans soaked overnight in 2 cups of water
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 4 roma tomatoes, diced or 14.5oz can of diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 tbsp ginger, grated
- 2 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt, more to taste
- 3 tbsp Chana Masala spice blend by The Spice Collective
- ½ cup water (1 cup water if using canned chickpeas)
- ⅓ cup cilantro, chopped
- If using canned garbanzo beans, drain, rinse, and set aside. If using dried garbanzo beans, soak overnight in cold water, drain and rinse when ready to begin cooking.
- Using the Instant Pot, select the “Saute” setting, add oil, allow it to heat up. Add onion and stir fry until onion begins to brown, about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and ginger, add tomatoes and cook for another 5-7 minutes.
- Add salt and the Chana Masala spice blend and stir. Add in garbanzo beans and water. Close and lock the Instant Pot lid, close the pressure valve, select “Manual” high pressure, set to cook for 35 minutes. Allow the pressure to release naturally.
- Open the lid, stir well. Select the “Saute” setting and allow Chana Masala to continue cooking for another 5 minutes to allow the excess water to burn off, and for the gravy to thicken.
- Top with cilantro leaves, serve with your choice of naan, bhature, puri, roti, paratha, or basmati rice
Serve with Naan, Bhature, Puri, Roti, or Paratha
Other recipes you might like